Monday 3 June 2013

Best Bit of Jasper Jones


This year I’ve been working my way through the list of Top Ten Aussie Books to Read Before You Die - http://www.abc.net.au/arts/aussiebooks/.  I had read several of the titles already and Jasper Jones was my final one.  Had it not been on the list, I may have given up on it – something I rarely do. 

It’s about a couple of boys who discover a dead body then hide it.  When a dead body is involved you expect a murder mystery or detective novel, but it doesn’t read like that.  A lot of the time I kept thinking ‘Get on with the story’. The characters spend a lot of time talking about stuff that doesn’t move the story forward.  Charlie Bucktin was more observer than main character.  Had he been more proactive, the story would have been stronger.  I think it was worth sticking with though for the secrets revealed in the second half of the book.

Best bit of Jasper Jone:  Sorry means you feel the pulse of other people’s pain, as well as your own, and saying it means you take a share of it. – Craig Silvey.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment