Tuesday 17 May 2022

Books from the year I was born

My poor neglected blog. I can't believe it's nearly been a year since I last fed you. Never mind, I am here now so I thought I would tell you what I have been up to the past year.

Mostly I have been working and attending medical appointments. I have watched far too many TV series and read far too few books. I have been learning Norwegian (det går bra) and doing a limited amount of writing (det går ikke så bra).

Tomorrow, I turn 50 years old. So I decided to see what popular books (according to Goodreads) were published in the year I was born: 1972. Let's see how many I've read, shall we?

Book #1: Watership Down by Richard Adams

I have never read this book, but a lot of people say this is their childhood favourite. It has had a huge influence on children's literature, so I’m putting it on my to-be-read list right now.

Book #2: Ways of Seeing by John Berger

I haven’t read this one either. The blurb says it is a book about art and how we look at pictures. It sounds interesting, so I think I’ll try to track this one down as well.

Book #3: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst

Another children’s classic that somehow passed me by… I wonder when I’ll get to a book I have read.

Book #4: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume

This is the first book in Judy Blume's Fudge series, and although I don’t remember reading this one, I definitely read Superfudge (we studied it in year 7 or 8).

Book #5: Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

I’ve read this one! This is the second book in the Charlie Bucket series and follows on from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I remember the great glass elevator leaving the chocolate factory and flying over the town, but it’s been so long since I read it, I can't really remember what the story was about.

Book #6: The Farthest Shore by Ursula K Le Guin

A few years ago, I purchased a volume containing the first four books of the Earthsea Cycle. This is book number three. Wonderful works of wizardry that have clearly had a huge impact on fantasy fiction.

Book #7: Invisible Cities by Italo Cavino

I haven’t heard of this book before. The description says it is about Kublai Khan and Marco Polo. Wonder if it is still in print?

Book #8: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

I don’t recall reading this, but surely I must have. The old BBC series with Peter Davidson (aka the fifth Doctor) was a delight.

Book #9: The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

I believe Isaac Asimov is a very prolific science fiction writer and even coined the term robotics among others. Alas, I have not read any of his works and probably should remedy that.

Book #10: Amphigorey by Edward Gorey

Amphigory apparently means a nonsense verse or composition. And if nothing else, I have learnt a new word today.

How many books have you read from the year you were born?

No comments:

Post a Comment