Friday 14 February 2020

News, Views and Beauteousness


I was planning to call this post News, Views and Reviews, but realised I didn’t have much to review, and as an online rhyming dictionary insisted that beauteousness rhymed with news (???), I’m rolling with it.

First the news: I have had a short story called Curse of the Swan Prince selected for the anthology South of the Sun: Fairy Tales for the 21st Century. You can read about it here: https://australianfairytales.com/

This is my very first acceptance for publication of any piece of writing I’ve done ever done, so it’s super exciting.

I’d had the characters I used in the story hanging out in my head for quite a long time. Years in fact. I knew they had a story to tell, but as I was busy working on other things, I kept pushing them aside. I finished work on my YA manuscript around the same time I saw the call for submissions to the anthology and knew these characters would be perfect for a fairy tale. It had been a long time since I’d attempted writing a short story, but in another twist of serendipity, I’d been reading an anthology called The Ghostly Stringybark, which gave me a really good feel for how to structure the tale. It all came together rather quickly, and I was proud of the result. I'm stoked the selection committee liked it too.

To views and beauteousness: For our annual family holiday this year, we went to Tasmania. Best holiday ever! Check out the scenery:


Bicheno Blow Hole

Sleepy Bay, Freycinet NP

Richmond Bridge

Franklin Wharf, Hobart

Horseshoe Falls, Mt Field NP

Marakoopa Cave, Mole Creek

Mt Round Lookout

Mersey Bluff Lighthouse, Devonport

View of Mt Roland from Wilmot

This is just a small selection of the hundreds of photos I took. If you've never been to Tassie, tick it off your bucket list asap.



No comments:

Post a Comment