Sunday 31 December 2017

2017 Reading Summary

This year I read 83 books. The majority were published this century, with only 10 published prior to the year 2000 and, unusually for me, I didn’t read any published in the 19th century or earlier.

Thirty-six were by Australian authors. Followed by US authors 28, UK authors 13, NZ 2, and Canadian 1. Would love to read more translations, or authors from non-western countries. Any recommendations?

Out of the 83 books, 10 were non-fiction, leaving 73 fiction books. There were 11 picture books, 20 middle-grade, 35 YA, and 16 adult (quite an achievement for me as I generally avoid adult literature, but audio books make it easier). I listened to 8 audio books in total.

Of the fiction books 30 were fantasy, 22 contemporary, 9 historical, 3 crime, 3 humour, 3 sci-fi, 1 dystopia, 2 survival.  One of the non-fiction books was in graphic novel form. 

Here’s an interesting breakdown I recorded this year:

Female Author/Female Main Character
30
Female Author/Male Main Character
16
Female Author/Neutral Main Character
17
Male Author/Female Main Character
5
Male Author/Male Main Character
9
Male Author/Neutral Main Character
6

Neutral main character could mean the story followed both male and female characters (such as The Guy, The Girl, The Artist and His Ex), or as in the case of many picture books, genderless characters. I also recorded most non-fiction under neutral unless it clearly followed one particular person or gender (such as Warrior Women).

What were my reading highlights of 2017? 
Reading Fiona Wood’s fabulous and funny YA books.
The Ghost Bride by Yangze Choo.
Discovering the Warriors books with my son (by Erin Hunter).
Northern Lights Phillip Pullman (La Belle Sauvage will be my first read of 2018).
Finishing Andrew McGahan’s Ship Kings series.
Yes, I’m behind the times but Girl with a Pearl Earring has been on my wish list for years. I was not disappointed.
Illuminae and Gemina by Amie Kaufman/Jay Kristoff - mind blowing.

There are so many more highlights I could add to this but I will stop here and wish everyone many happy hours of great reading in 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment